Before we can build a house, we need to sell our primary home. It has been on the market for a year and two months. It has been a long year of keeping the house spotless and clutter-free only to hear, “they really wanted a fireplace, not a wood stove.”
But this past weekend we finally signed a contract and if all goes well with the inspection, we could be closing in a month, right around Martin Luther King Jr weekend. I am trying to remain calm but inside I am spinning and screaming. We are very excited but there is a lot of work to be done in one short month. Lists help me to focus and control stress so here goes:
- Decorate the house for Christmas even though Dan says I am nuts to do so. It is our last Christmas at Gaye Ln – it has to be festive. Okay, I will only put out half the stuff.
- Go Christmas shopping. That shouldn’t be a problem. I think I have 1 more day off before Christmas day. Holy peppermint bark.
- Make lasagna for Christmas dinner at Casey’s house.
- Find a place to live. Yup, when we close we are homeless. I would like to find a rental from Jan 1 – July 1. Hopefully, by July the garage will be built and we can go live in the garage.
- Have one more “all out” party at Gaye Ln. A little sad just thinking about it. Lay out anything we don’t want on the ping pong table and tell our guests they can’t leave without a parting gift.
- Pack up our house and take everything down to the lake house to store it for the winter.
We are selling a lot of our furniture with the house so that will be a big help. All of Dan’s crap in the garage will be a back=breaker. Hold aside anything that will go with us to the rental.
- Get the design for the new house and septic squared away. Share with our builder and start building a budget, timeline and materials list for the new lake house.
- Survive the busiest week in the ski industry – the infamous Christmas week. Note: buy a bottle of Bailey’s.
- Pray for snow.
Let the fun begin!!